- Jeffrey Miller, M.D. is the Principal Investigator of this research study and will provide clinical treatment for the study. He is a board certified adult psychiatrist and an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Miller does research studying mood disorders including major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder, as well as studies related to individuals with suicidal behavior, using brain imaging approaches. He has also conducted research related to cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Dr. Barbara Stanley has been the principal investigator on several grants funded by the National Institute of Mental Health and private foundations investigating clinical and neurobiological factors and intervention strategies related to suicidal behavior, self-injury, borderline personality disorder, and depression.Dr. Stanley is a clinical psychologist who specializes in the treatment of individuals with borderline personality disorder, depression and self-harm. With her colleague, Dr. Gregory Brown, she developed the Safety Planning Intervention that is used in Emergency Departments, inpatient and outpatient facilities, throughout the VA and on crisis hotlines. She is the author of more than 200 articles and book chapters, author/editor of several volumes and serves as editor-in-chief of the Archives of Suicide Research and on numerous editorial boards.
- Sudha Raman, M.S. is the coordinator for this study. She coordinates other studies in our research division related to understanding the causes of mood disorders and suicidal thoughts and behaviours as well. She has also worked on research on cognitive behavioural therapy for depression.
- Our team is part of the Molecular Imaging and Neuropathology Division of the Psychiatry Department. The Division includes other psychiatrists, psychologists and research coordinators who work together on research projects. Here is the link to the Division website:
- Relevant publications from past projects:
- Stanley B, Siever L. The Interpersonal Dimension of Borderline Personality Disorder: Towards A Neuropeptide Model. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Jan; 167(1):24-39. PMID:19952075
- Stanley B, Sher L, Wilson S, Ekman R, Huang YY, Mann JJ. Non-suicidal self-injurious behavior,endogenous opioids and monoamine neurotransmitters. J Affect Disord. 2010 Jul; 124(1-2): 134-40. PMID:19942295 PMC2875354
- New As, Stanley B. An opioid deficit in borderline personality disorder: self-cutting, substance abuse, and social dysfunction. Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Aug; 167(8):882-5. PMID:20693463
- Miller JM, Hesselgrave N, Ogden RT, Sullivan GM, Oquendo MA, Mann JJ, Parsey RV. PET quantification of serotonin transporter in suicide attempters with major depressive disorder. Biological Psychiatry (2013); 74: 287-295. PMCID: PMC3725207.
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 646-774-7564.